Monday, October 13, 2008

Day 3---October 13th

It has been awhile since I blogged so I am picking up here and blogging on our progress.





We are on a mission to tile our floor in the kitchen, entryway, laundry room, near the back door and two bathrooms.





Day 1: We pulled up the carpet in the entry way and bathroom. A small section of both were tiled. So we chipped away at the tile. We had a bunch of helpers......
When we got that up we had a lot of thinset left on the concrete! It looked like this....
It wasn't coming up easy at all. So we after much googling I found where someone had rented an electric chisel from Homedepot to get the thinset up. So off to Homedepot we went to rent the tool. It worked great and we got the stuff off the entry floor and bathroom #1 in no time!


Day 2 We already had bathroom #1 torn apart and the toilet was in the tub. So Andrew had to work around the toilet in bathroom #2 w/ the tool. He got most of it up. We will have to work on the thinset under and near the toilet when we get bathroom #1 put back together. It will have to be done by hand but at least we got the majority of it up.

As you can tell by the second picture above the linoleum came up without a problem. It was the adhesive stuck to floor that was the problem. I was using an iron to melt and chisel it away. It was working but my progress was slow, around one square foot in one hour!! It would take forever to do my whole kitchen and laundry room!!!

When we took the chisel back to Homedepot Andrew asked the tool man if he knew what we could use to get the glue off the floor. He suggested a floor polisher. They had one but the attachement that we needed was still rented out. Off to Homedepot #2. They had one but it was missing two bits--not sure what that means except a no go for us. So they called Homedepot #3--ding ding ding! They had it!! :)


Day 3 Andrew got up not so early to get the floor polisher. I hope it works!!! He took the whole week off to tile the floors. I hope we can get it done this week. I was hoping to sneak in painting the laundry room and bedroom. I don't see that happening though. We have a ton of things going on this week.

6 parent teachers conferences
2 basketballs sign up.
1 ortho appointment
1 children's musical practice(finished this one already)
1 employee party
2 youth hunt days(fri & sat)
3 school days where the boys are of of school
1 birthday for the lady of the house :) :)---That is today!!:) What a present I get!! Two boys that are home from school due to sickness!!! LOL The youngest son gave me his present early. He threw up on me yesterday at the birthday dinner my mom made for us.

I hope to show some after pics real soon!!!!

2 comments:

CA Girl in 10-OC said...

Oh that just looks like a ton of work, but it will be so worth it!! Happy Birthday!!!

just1gal said...

Thanks! :)